Monday, October 25, 2010

An indicator of arrogance

FROM MY CORNER ... with Ann Brunswick

It is so easy for the good name of a major company, utility or other big organisation to be trashed by the thoughtlessness or arrogance of just one of its staff. It is just a pity those particular staff members never seem to comprehend that simple truth.

This thought popped into my mind the other morning on my way to work when stopped at a set of traffic lights behind an Energex truck. My trusty Land Rover was in the inside lane of a two-lane near-city street behind the truck which had another car in front of it at the head of a line-up of cars.
We were all waiting patiently at the intersection for the lights to change and head towards the CBD. When they did turn green what do you think the driver of the Energex truck did? Of course, he or she decided at that moment to turn on their right indicator and hold up me and those behind me while oncoming traffic cleared sufficiently for the turn to be made.
I had chosen my particular lane at that intersection that morning precisely because on approach it was clear neither the Energex truck nor the car in front of it had their indicators signalling a right turn.
The intersection in question can be quite busy so the Energex driver no doubt made a big impression on more than just me.

***

An invitation was extended to me by one of my gal pals to join her for breakfast at the Holiday Inn in Roma Street last Sunday.

The buffet breakfast was one of the best in the city, and quite reasonably priced. But despite the hotel’s positive impression it should be a long time before I venture back.
You see it was impossible to find a nearby street park for my Land Rover. Sunday was a gloomy and wet day and the mood was not made any better by the fact the Roma Street precinct seems to be full of bus stops, bays marked for police parking only, and loading zones that operate all hours and all days of the week.
So after the first few minutes trying to find a spare street car-park pace, my Land Rover headed towards Mackerston Street.
“There’s always a few spots there,” I reasoned with myself. But on arrival what did my eyes spy? Several of the former car spaces had been consumed by one of the new City Cycle stations. So back to scouring the streets, but again to no avail.
Given the rain at the time there was nothing left for it but to head to the privately operated car park attached to the hotel. All well and good.
I consumed a pleasant brekky and stayed dry going to and from my car. But the problem for me was that the car parking cost $32 for slightly more than 90 minutes –almost twice the price of the brekky buffet.
To make matters worse, on Sundays the car park does not employ a gate attendant. So to pay you must trot around the the Transit Centre car park and make use of its automated payment machines.
o while I can heartily recommend the hotel’s brekky, be warned that you should only attempt to go there if you can strike street parking, arrive by public transport, walk, hang glide, or fax or email yourself there.

***
Speaking of the City Cycle scheme, have you noticed – as if you can avoid it – the huge new signs that have sprung up at strategic entry points to the inner-city.
They have been erected by outdoor advertising firm JC Decaux, the company behind the cycle rental scheme. Like the one pictured below at Spring Hill, the new signs are in locations and of a size that to my mind are somewhat intrusive.
One wonders if they would have been approved if any other outdoor advertising group wanted to install them.