Monday, January 24, 2011

Hinchliffe hints at ending stellar career


NEWS

Long-term city councillor David Hinchliffe has dropped his strongest hint to date that he is about to pull the pin on almost a quarter-century or service to his community.


“I am actively considering retiring at the next election,” Councillor Hinchliffe told The Independent. “ A quarter of a century is a long time to spend in a high-pressure job, but I’ve enjoyed every minute of it. “I’m not tired of the job, but I have to admit to being fed up with a lot of the petty politics that goes on.”
Cr Hinchliffe represented Spring Hill Ward from 1988 to 1994 when it changed to Central Ward and its boundaries were redistributed to include New Farm, Newstead, South Bank, Paddington and Red Hill and parts of Bardon and Milton.
Cr Hinchliffe, who turns 56 in April, scoffed at mainstream newspaper reports that he had annointed a successor should he call it a day, and that he was promoting this person on his website. “I’ve got lots of people on my website, including even a photo of the LNP candidate.
“If I make the decision to retire from politics, I want to let the residents of the area know first and if I do decide to retire, I won’t personally be picking a ‘successor’. “There are quite a few good people who could fill my shoes should I slip them off.”
He also denied a suggestion that a very narrow win over the LNP’s Vicki Howard, who will again contest the ward in 2012, was behind his retirement considerations.
“The margin back in March 2008 was a very slender 120. After 17 years in the council’s cabinet which takes up an enormous amount of time, I’ve really enjoyed being just a local ward councillor. I feel very connected with my community.
“I don’t fear an election result. I won my seat 23 years ago with just 200 votes and it’s changed many times since.”
Would there be a life for David Hinchliffe, a renowned artist and a newspaper photographer in an earlier incarnation, if he did leave local politics?
“If I decide to ‘retire’, I can assure you it would be an extremely active retirement.
“I know no other way of functioning. I am assured by those who have made the transition, there is indeed a life after politics.”