Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Still pretty damn crazy after all these tears


FROM MY CORNER
With Ann Brunswick
 
Ihad been visiting my former editor at his “retreat” almost weekly since he was sent there for “evaluation” after this newspaper suspended publication some months ago.

Sure, I wasn’t on the payroll anymore – not that Iever got paid much – but I’d always found the silly old bugger to be quite sweet in his own eccentric way so I never minded the trip across town to say hello. Besides, Ithought my regular visits seems to cheer him up no end.

For quite some time it was not a pretty sight. No, Idon’t mean the asylum – er, the retreat – itself. It was grand in its own way, with a lovely gothic main building set in beautifully manicured lawns and so forth. The staff all had lovely uniforms and even the strait-jackets were colour co-ordinated.

No, it was my former boss. It was sad to see him sitting outside on a bench, a blanket over his legs, his left eye occasionally twitching and this strange “Hmmm. Hhmmm. Hmmm” coming from between trembling lips. Behaviour, I’ve suddenly realised, not all that dissimilar to the facial tics and twitches that Inspector Dreyfus used to display in those Pink Panther movies years ago.

But over time and a handful of visits, he came to a certain calmness that I took as some form of closure to his years spent as a media mogul wannabe. This had been helped in part by the doctor in charge pleading with me never to mention the 11 long years that he had spent running The Independent into the ground.

That was until the other month, when Imade the mistake during one of our weekend visits of mentioning, just as an aside, that City News – my boss’s major competitor in all those years of publishing – had closed down.

“Closed down, you say,” he said. No sooner had those words been uttered then I detected what I thought was a small twitch of the left eye.

“Yes. Ceased publishing last Thursday.”

“Hmmm. Hmmm Mmm. Mmmmmmmm.”

“Obviously it wasn’t making enough money,” I added as I watched his lips purse and repurse.

We were silent again for a while and then he said simply:“Ithink I’ll start the paper up again.See how I go.”

The left eye all of a sudden looked like it was short-circuiting.

“But, boss,” I protested. “You were bloody hopeless at running a business all those years, so why should you be any better now?”

For readers who might be shocked by the bluntness of that comment, part of the charm of our relationship was my ability to be brutally frank with my employer when ever that was required, which was often. Relatively harmless he might be but he is also a right royal twit.

“You’re right, of course, but with City News out of the way, who knows? The ad revenue might start to pour in.” Twitch. Twitch. Lip tremble.

As opposed to the trickle of ads when he used to do the job himself was a thought I kept to myself. This bloke couldn’t sell a book of heavily discounted brothel vouchers to Craig Thomson, so Itried a different tack.

“Can’t we look at the closure of City News another way,” I suggested, keeping a wary watch on eye and mouth movement.

“Instead of a potential opening, the closure of City News could be, well, an omen. And a bad one at that?”

Another twitch. A staccato of lip purses. The gentle, soft hum of a series of “Mmmm. Hmmmm. Hmmmms.

“Boss, you always said the City News had all these pretty young things with really big...

“Sales targets to fill?”

“Well, yes, that too. But you see my point, don’t you?”

A full 12-second eye twitch was followed by the loudest sequence of Hmmms Hhhhmm Hmmmmms I’d heard from him since he was first admitted.

“No bugger it,” he shouted, flinging aside his security blanket and jumping to his feet.

“Let’s give this another shot,”he declared, both eyes now twitching in perfect harmony and his lips almost a blur of uncontrolled movement as a trumpet blast of Hhhmmmms escaped from between them.

“What have we got to lose, eh?” he shouted.

Your sanity, for one, Ithought. Or what was still left of it.

• Got something you’ve got to get off your chest and would like Brisbane’s favourite columnist to investigate on your behalf? Email Ann Brunswick at

ann@theindependent.com.au