Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Strong words fly over ward pamphlet


NEWS


Our front-page story last issue on whether a city council election leaflet had been designed deliberately to create the impression that a candidate was already a sitting councillor sparked a strong response from readers. Here are their comments.

Dear Editor

I refer to your article in The Independent Vol. 11 No 3 Wednesday 16 February 2011 regarding the Vicki Howard pamphlet. As I am a council employee, I am directed by the Lord Mayor that I may not make any representation to the media in relation to council matters.
However, even though the pamphlet uses the official council cleat on the left margin, and Ms Howard purports to represent the interests of Central Ward residents in council, the pamphlet is not a council publication and is deliberately misleading, erroneous and downright shonky.
Had Ms Howard placed blue and white checks along the margin and purported to represent the Fortitude Valley Police Station and the Police Commissioner in the same way, charges would have been laid.
As a member of the Labor Party, my opinion may seem biased; however the gall of this woman attempting to usurp the authority of the elected representative Cr David Hinchliffe irritates me. Her arrogance and blatant misrepresentation are the clearest indication yet of the LNP attitude, and demonstrates the current LNP team’s philosophy.
Oh, the propaganda we can expect over the next 12 months. Please withhold my name for the sake of my job and my family.

Name supplied but withheld
New Farm via email February 25


Dear Editor

Vicki Howard’s Christmas leaflet is a deliberate misrepresentation of her political status, so I am wondering if there were similar leaflets distributed in other wards? Very sneaky indeed.

Lynne, Newstead
via email February 24


Dear Editor
Tricky Vicki Howard is not getting my vote at the next council elections should the obfuscations and spin in her Christmas mailouts be an indication of her political nous.
I want my local representative to be genuine, straightforward and savvy, qualities which may have eluded Ms Howard thus far in her fledgling political career.
I am not a member of any political party but take an active interest in politics.

Robert, New Farm
via email February 28