Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Sorry Rod, but your campaign lacks colour


LOCAL POLITICS

 
















The ALP's Lord Mayoral hopeful Rod Harding launched his campaign the other weekend for next year’s municipal elections and supporters spread out all over our fair city brandishing examples of his political electioneering material.

But can I be terribly frank after seeing footage of some of them? To me, they just lacked something ... that little bit of extra oomph that this bloke is going to need if he has any hope whatsoever of grabbing the keys to City Hall off the LNP’s charismatic Graham Quirk.
So I hope he doesn’t mind but I just experimented with different colours and shapes in an endeavour to link all his various campaign documents into a cohesive narrative that might just induce a positive feedback from our city’s voters.
And after a few hours of frustration, it just came to me in a flash really. A bolt out of the blue that proved to be rolled gold in value.
And that was the simple notions that blue and gold are such warm and lovely colours, and of all the shapes you can think of, blocks to my mind are the strongest. Circles, after all, really just go about in ... well, you know ... and triangles are nice but only have three points to make. No, blocks are chunky and blokey. And Rod’s clearly a bloke. Nice-looking one, too, if I could be permitted to say that.
Then having decided on blue and gold blocks, I had this brilliant brain explosion as to where to use them. There just seemed no other logical place to run them but down the left-hand side of Rod’s campaign material, as shown above. It’s just such a natural fit, wouldn’t you all agree?
So I’m urging the ALP and Rod’s campaign team to adopt this imagery as his special way of branding his campaign. He should use it in print-media advertising, all sorts of letterbox leaflets, business cards, roadside billboards, everywhere really. Gosh, if he had a campaign car, wouldn’t that blue and gold block pattern look nice down the back of the vehicle?
Anyway, that’s my advice and I really do hope he runs with it, I really do.
I think it’s a winner and I’m really rather chuffed that I thought of it!

Don Gordon-Brown